Results

James II: Translation
24 December 1438 Non-parliamentary record: act of the lieutenant general and council
[A1438/12/1]* Non-parliamentary record: act …
13 March 1439 1439, 13 March, Stirling, Council
1439, 13 March, Stirling, Council
13 March 1439 Additional Record
Additional Record
13 March 1439 13 March 1439
13 March 1439
13 March 1439 Non-parliamentary record: legislation issued by a council
Non-parliamentary record: legislation issued …
4 September 1439 1439, 4 September, Stirling, General Council
1439, 4 September, Stirling, General Cou …
4 September 1439 General Council Record
General Council Record
4 September 1439 4 September 1439
4 September 1439
  1. APS, ii, 32. Original source not yet traced. Back
  2. Note the council of 13 March 1439 is incorrectly described as a general council in Tanner, Parliament, 89. The minority of James II, particularly during the lieutenantship of Archibald, 5th earl of Douglas, saw a return to the practice of using councils in a legislative fashion. These councils do not appear to have been referred to as either 'pleni concilii', implying additional powers over a normal council, as they often were in the fourteenth century, or 'concilii generali', which were assemblies of the three estates. Normally the proceedings of council would not be appropriate for inclusion with the business of parliament and the three estates, however on at least one occasion the statutes of council came to be included in the editions of parliamentary acts, and the business dealt with at these councils was without doubt 'quasi parliamentary' in nature. While the attendance, formality and constitutional status of these councils is unclear, it is artificial to separate their legislation from the other acts of parliament and general council with which they have long been included. Nevertheless, these councils should not be assumed to have resembled parliaments or general councils. Note, however, that the March 1439 council was held in Stirling tolbooth. Tolbooths were the most common locations for assemblies of the estates by the fifteenth century, and were a location that may have deliberately signified the separation of such meetings from royal influence by being located outwith royal residences. Back