Procedure: opening of parliament

The parliament of the most powerful prince Charles, by the grace of God, king of Great Britain, France and Ireland, defender of the faith, held and begun at Edinburgh on 15 September in the aforesaid year by virtue of a commission under testimony of the great seal given at the Palace of Beaulieu on 12 August 1628 by his commissioners written below, namely William [Graham], earl of Menteith, president of the privy council, Thomas [Hamilton], earl of Haddington, keeper of the seal of privy council, George [Seton], earl of Winton, Alexander [Livingstone], earl of Linlithgow, Sir Archibald Acheson of Glencairnie, secretary, Sir John Hamilton of Magdalens, clerk of the rolls of register and council, and Sir Thomas Hope, baronet of Craighall, advocate of our supreme lord the king. The suits called, the court fenced.

  1. NAS, PA2/21, f.1r.