Procedure: preamble

The running parliament of the most excellent prince James VI, king of Scots, held and opened in the tolbooth of the burgh of Linlithgow on 1 December in the year of the Lord 1585, with the lords commissioners mentioned below specially constituted by commission of our supreme master the king, namely Peter [Rollock], bishop of Dunkeld, Adam [Bothwell], bishop of Orkney, John [Maxwell], earl of Morton, lord Maxwell, Alexander [Colville], commendator of Culross, Sir Lewis Bellenden of Auchnoull, knight, lord justice clerk, Sir Robert Melville of Murdocairnie, treasurer depute, Alexander Hay of Easter Kennet, clerk of the rolls of register and council, Nicholas Uddard and Michael Gilbert, commissioners of Edinburgh, James Drummond, commissioner of Perth, John Muschet and David Lindsay [of the Mount], commissioners of Stirling and Cupar, together with James Keith of Canterland, marischal depute, William Henderson, constable depute, Philip Whitehead, sheriff depute of Linlithgow, and James Matheson, dempster. Suits were called and the court affirmed.

  1. NAS, PA2/13, f.34r.